Wednesday, 30 July 2008

OggTube, please

Today, Hub was pointing to this blog entry. As I understand, it basically means that soon, people will be able to read Ogg/Theora audio/video content in their Mozilla based browsers, whatever the underlying Operating System is.

In one word WOOOOOOT!

So now, could some ubercool web developer stand up and provide us with a server that would allow people to share Ogg/Theora based videos ? Because if anything else, I am fed up with having all these videos around the web, available in flash only, just because the big players don't want to distribute Ogg/Theora.

What would be really nice is to have access to the code of a so called OggTube server that I could install and host on my own machine to share content with my friends. If I really have more friends than bandwidth, I guess someone will come up with a decent infrastructure to host it for me. After all, everyone wants to sell ads these days.

5 comments:

Alexander said...

I can be wrong, but I thought that blip.tv allows you to upload Ogg Theora movies. They are then played using the Cortado applet.

Anonymous said...

See http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/04/24/from-camera-to-website-building-an-open-source-video-streamer/.

nicu said...

@Dodji: the "OggTube server" is Apache, that's the beauty, you would only need enough bandwidth.

@alexander: blip.tv converts the movies to Flash, but they also keep the Theora source for direct download.

conundrum314 said...

www.archive.org hosts Ogg Theora videos. LugRadio used it for the recent LRL videos.

A WordPress plugin to serve up Theora videos is Show In A Box.

freechelmi said...

http://theorasea.org is what you are looking for.

Blip.tv is really good but use cortado for all theora display which is really heavy.

Using Itheora script would be really better.